Thursday, February 21, 2013

Fort Bragg to Leggett

Drive-Thru Tree, Leggett, California
Leggett is home to the delightful tourist trap known as Drive-Thru Tree. As the name suggests, there is a tree that you can drive through for $5.

You can spend more money at the nearby gift shop. It's all very exciting.

There is a light drizzle when we arrive in the late afternoon. I somehow manage to avoid driving through the tree, which makes for a more interesting story than actually driving through it like normal people do.

“You see, there's this giant tree that you can drive through, which we did. See?”

“Yeah, I've been there, only I didn't drive through the tree. I paid my $5 and then drove around it.”

“You did what?”

“I drove around the tree.”

“Why would you do that?”

“Because it's unexpected. Also, I suck at following directions.”

The ensuing awkward silence would do Eugene O'Neill proud.

Not the Drive-Thru Tree

We get out of the car, stretch our legs, take a few snapshots of us in a hollowed-out tree that you cannot drive through, and then return to the main highway.

Seriously, what the hell is this place?

No comments:

Post a Comment